March of 100 Albums (6-10)

Pixies - Doolittle 
What is it? noisy shouty alt rock
How'd I find it? High school crush's favourite album
I don't listen to this anymore. I can't fault it; it's hailed as the father of indie but it's still not even too overrated. Every song is 4-5 star quality. Future tryhards will probably wear its cover on t-shirts. I just don't want to hear the songs of high school enemies. If you've never listened to it, you really should.

Powderfinger - Odyssey Number Five
What is it? radio friendly rock
How'd I find it? Topped Hottest 100 Australian albums poll
I like My Happiness. Didn't know QR trains used to have buttons like that, and look at old Roma Steet! Oh, it leads quite nicely into The Metre too. This is better than I expect from a poll-winner. There's something a bit sterile about it that keeps me from really liking it and a lot of the songs could be shorter (ugh Thrillology), but I'd still be stoked if they name that new bus/train tunnel after the band.

You Am I - Hourly, Daily
What is it? alt rock (what does that even mean?)
How'd I find it? This list
I like that this band is more Sydney than Powderfinger is Brisbane. That's pretty important to me. I listened to this album so many times while driving to between those two cities. I don't care what the world thinks; this is a five-star album for me. "Fourteen year olds, screaming get out of my country," "We ain't going west of the city," and I smile every time I see the "470 to Circular Quay".

wowaka - SEVEN GIRLS' DISCHORD
What is it? Vocaloid pop, a bit alt rock in parts
How'd I find it? A Livejournal comm called singing_robots
Rolling Girl (track 2) and this version of World's End Dancehall (6) are the songs I would use as OP/ED if my life were an anime. This producer's style is so jagged that it makes the robot voices sound natural, which is a much better approach than putting the computer voice in the middle of an emotional piano ballad. I can't think of any Western equivalent for this, or even things to compare it to.

Megan Washington - I Believe You Liar
What is it? "Indie" female vocalist pop
How'd I find it? A song was played on Nova
Everett True's review is spot-on, I reckon. She's got a great voice, but her singing sounds unemotional. The production is like cling wrap. Still, there's some good potential there. I didn't know Rich Kids was about Brisbane until I read that review, but listening to it now, yeah, I've lived that. The guy I didn't wanna dance with was spotted busking near King George Square when I visited a year later.

Monday 3 March 2014
Categories: , , , | Comments Off