March of 100 Albums (1-5)

Found out about this through a Reddit post. Tried gathering 100 Australian albums at first, but that turned out too homogeneous, so it'll be half Australian, half other. Non-Spotify links provided where possible.

Venetian Snares - Rossz csillag alatt született
What is it? Orchestral samples, breakcore
How'd I find it? Clicked a random genre on rym and tried the top album.
I doubt that this really is the best of the genre, just one of the more accessible. Its rating has increased a bit since I first found it, possibly due to being featured on a lot of /mu/ lists. It's the kind of sad/abrasive thing a lot of their audience like. Of course the Elgar Cello Concerto is in there. I'd love to hear this kind of thing in a game/movie soundtrack.

JYONGRI - Love Forever
What is it? Mid-2000s J-Pop, female vocalist
How'd I find it? This song was used in The World Ends With You.
Sounds super dated, though I think it did back when I first heard it in 2009 anyway (like a lot of J-Pop). This sound will probably become trendy again though, with the jelly sandals and chokers I've been seeing on the street. I struggled to stay awake for the whole album, but the linked song and other ballads still pretty good, seeing as sad piano ballads don't go out of style.

Angus & Julia Stone - Down The Way
What is it? Indie folk-pop, adult contemporary, when female vocalists imitate Bjork
How'd I find it? Everywhere on the radio in 2010!
Don't like them but glad they exist because they gave me something to argue about with my old music teacher. I've eventually come around to the everything he recommended except this. Every time I listen to this album I'm thinking, "nah, it's probably not as bad as I remembered." But this is the soundtrack of basic middle-class white people and that's nails on chalkboard for me. I keep trying anyway.

Ben Salter - The Cat
What is it? Male singer-songwriter, Australian, saxophones
How'd I find it? I don't remember exactly, but it involved this video.
I'm glad that I lived in Toowong, because it seems like lots of artsy types come from the inner-west, and I like seeing places I know in stuff. If I had friends who liked this kind of music, I'd be screaming at them to listen to this, because it's one of my favourite albums ever. It's got lush instrumentation, strong vocals, Brisbane, trains, bus numbers, and cats. Perfect.

Simon Bookish - Everything/Everything
What is it? Male singer-songwriter, art pop, chamber pop
How'd I find it? Rec'd by last.fm because I listened to Sufjan Stevens and Patrick Wolf
He has fewer Facebook likes than a generic Brisbane band I know of, how depressing. I want to throw money at this guy but this album isn't on his Bandcamp! I wanted to hear Philip Glass in pop form, and this delivers that and weirder. This is my niche. A 4.5 star review on RYM simply states, "Songs about not fucking".

Sunday 2 March 2014
Categories: , , | Comments Off