March of 100 Albums (11-15)

Oh man, it's the 4th already.

Moumoon - Moumoon
What is it? J-Pop, female vocalist
How'd I find it? This Livejournal comm, I think
Kicking off the morning with an old J-Pop album I used to like, because I'm studying Japanese this semester. This album is completely unremarkable and has a lot of clunky key changes, but I still kinda like it as background music. Thinking something isn't good but still enjoying it is a valid opinion, and it doesn't have to be ironic.

ELECTROCUTICA - REVERSUS
What is it? electronic, idm, Vocaloid
How'd I find it? Vocaloid producer AVTechNo
And now for the complete opposite, Japanese not-quite-pop. The title track is like a futuristic O Fortuna. Most of this is pretty unpredictable, not really songs in the verse-chorus etc. style. Not on this album but by the same producer is iDolla, one of my favourite Vocaloid tracks.

Kimbra - Vows
What is it? female vocalist, pop
How'd I find it? Some people I knew in school were fans
Someone on Facebook posted a song from this on the resident weeaboo's page saying it reminded her of "anime music". I'm kinda hearing it... it's a bit retro, but not to the point that it sounds dated or gimmicky. Lovely first half, second gets a bit flat until the last track, a song that is right up my street. (I don't know why the US/UK version ends with Warrior.)

The Middle East - I Want That You Are Always Happy
What is it? chamber folk
How'd I find it? Nominated for an ARIA a few years back
Here's an album I'm not familiar with. So long, so slow, maybe it's a grower. Definitely will be adding it to my phone for further listening. Really similar to Augie March, but less poppy, more stately and beautiful. Land Of The Bloody Unknown is fantastic. Is that train guard chatter I hear in Sydney To Newcastle? I'm sold.

Nicole Atkins - Neptune City
What is it? Female vocalist, pop
How'd I find it? People compared Lana Del Rey to her on ONTD
I think this is better than Born To Die, even though it's not be as nicely produced and the singer isn't as stylish. Also, the mastering sounds a bit brickwalled, unless I just have a bad copy. I don't know why people describe this as soul, unless that's just a word that means "alto singer". Whatever, it's great to have decent songs that are actually in my range. This version of the title track goes on my phone every time I visit Brisbane.

Tuesday 4 March 2014
Categories: , , , | Comments Off