May Pt. 1

Wow, it's the middle of May already!

Vampire Weekend: Modern Vampires of the City is... okay, I guess. Actually, I'm a little confused about how I feel about this band. I first heard the Contra singles on Triple J years ago, and I absolutely hated them. I found their first album a fair bit later and liked it, to my surprise. This one is somewhere between the two.

Not surprised that it got a BNM, but 9.3, wow!

The National: It'd probably be embarrassing to write down early opinions of an album by these guys. The video for "Sea of Love" is great and led me to discover this pretty cool Russian band.

Spotify: Either Showtunes Guy has been successfully converted into a hipster, or he's trying pretty damn hard. He's been playing the new Lana Del Rey song on repeat, and Spotify Stalkee has been saying it's her only good song.

Hottest 100 - 20 Years: Oh boy, this is going to be fun. I tried to pick a song for every year and discovered that I like nothing from 2001. Nothing. I didn't like The Strokes much, and I've actually never listened to Lateralus or that Daft Punk album (*gasp*). Gave up that idea, but I'm still going with the one song per band rule.

Should I throw in some votes for women and Australians, even though I know they won't make it in? I'm thinking of submitting two lists; one for stuff that will likely get in (Radiohead) and one for women and Australians (Tori Amos, The Drones?).

Those year summaries are pretty good! Lots of love for You Am I, so maybe they've got a chance. Surprised by Bernard Fanning's piece, because I can't stand his stuff, kinda like how Sarah Blasko claims to be influenced by David Byrne but makes boring samey music. lol the dude from The Rubens likes Jet.


Tuesday 14 May 2013
Categories: , , | Comments Off