January

By the time I got around to actually posting this, I forgot what all the links were.

Haim: Whenever I hear their song on the radio, I wonder, "When did I change to the oldies station?" Not the best response to a song. They're probably this year's Friends. Ugh, buzzbands.

I'm  tired  of  "alt"  pop.

Well, not really. More tired of music writers. I spent all of 2012 following new releases and I didn't enjoy it much, especially at the end when everybody started declaring Call Me Maybe to be the year's highlight. It seems like they're trying too had to prove that they don't only like "serious" music and that they don't agree with the consensus. There's even this article about both of those things!

Whatever to those people. This year, I'll stick with Australian stuff that never makes it overseas and classical.

Rdio: Tried it for a week. I like that I can follow the triple j presenters and Mess+Noise. Being able to see everyone's play history and collection is fun. Unfortunately, there isn't anybody I know irl on it to stalk, and I'll miss stuff like...

Spotify: That guy from October who was listening to the Pitchfork playlist just reached Radiohead and Real Estate before giving up again and listening to Nicki Minaj. If I wanted to convert someone, I'd probably use things that were closer to their taste to bridge to what I wanted them to listen to.

ACO/Radiohead: The Australian Chamber Orchestra will be premiering a Jonny Greenwood piece next year. I do wonder if things like this and Radio Rewrite are attempts at getting the yoof into concert halls. Well, I'll be there at least.

Pop-classical: It's only January, but "Rieu gives an excellent insight into what pop music might now be like if the Nazis had won World War Two" is probably the greatest burn I'll read in 2013.

Tuesday 15 January 2013
Categories: , , , , , | Comments Off