Hottest 100 2012

Updated every 20 songs. Might graph the numbers afterwards.

100. Everything Everything - Cough Cough
Jesus, this was the worst feature album in recent memory. 3/10

99. MIA - Bad Girls
Hmm, fun, but could probably get annoying quickly. 6/10

98. Kimbra - Warrior (Ft. Mark Foster & A-Trak)
Bland. 4/10

97. Jack White - I'm Shakin'
7/10

96. Kanye West - Clique
Twitter has a lot of hate for Kanye. Bet the same people will be happy when Macklemore wins. Production sounds pretty good (as with everything Kanye is involved in). 8/10

95. Last Dinosaurs - Andy
Facebook friend voted for 3 songs by this band. They sure can play the guitar, but that production smothers the whole album into a samey mess. 5/10

94. The Gaslight Anthem - 45
Generic rock song. Annoying lyrics. 3/10

93. Snakadaktal - Dance Bear
I guess it's better than "Air". 6/10

92. Lisa Mitchell - Spiritus
IN MY LUMALUMALUM! Her voice has become so much more annoying. I suppose people encourage that horrid accent because it makes her "unique". 4/10

91. Allday x C1 - So Good
Don't know why, but it's reminding me of Kitty Pryde. 4/10

90. Two Door Cinema Club - Sleep Alone
Is the phrase "landfill indie" still acceptable? 5/10

89. Chance Waters - Maybe Tomorrow
Song is meh, but what I really can't stand is this band begging for votes on Reddit. 5/10

88. C2C - Down The Road
Sounds like it was meant to be played in tiny snippets, like before the presenters talk. 5/10

87. Bloody Beetroots & Greta Svabo Bech - Chronicles Of A Fallen Love
There's always a dance track with a super-high female vocalist. Tepid. 4/10

86. Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness
Nice voice, nice production, boring song. I like her, but she should get some better songwriters now that she's dropped the indie charade. 6/10

85. Purity Ring - Fineshrines
This probably deserves to be higher; at least higher than Alpine. But it also makes me wonder if, despite being internationally critically acclaimed, it's really any better than Alpine, who get trashed as a buzzband. 7/10

84. Hilltop Hoods - Rattling The Keys To The Kingdom
Huh, this might be the best Australian hip-hop I've heard. Might be because I can't understand what they're saying. I like those pauses. 7/10

83. The Jungle Giants - She's A Riot
Sounds like one of those Brisbane bands that love Vampire Weekend. Yep, I'm right. 4/10

82. Santigold - Disparate Youth
6/10

81. Alt-J - Something Good
Quiet, forgettable. 5/10

80. Frank Ocean - Super Rich Kids
Weirdly catchy. I'm going to have lunch. 7/10

79. The Black Keys - Little Black Submarines
Hated "Lonely Boy", but this is actually a nice song. 6/10

78. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Household Goods
4/10

77. Feed Me & Crystal Fighters - Love Is All I Got
5/10

76. Illy - Heard It All
5/10

75. Muse - Madness
Probably the least tasteless song on the new album, but I'd rather listen to "Survival" because it makes me laugh. 5/10

74. The Shins - Simple Song
I really hated this song the first time I heard it, though it's probably better than most of the other stuff here. 6/10 [edit: the video is great though!]

73. Ben Folds Five - Draw A Crowd
I like Ben Folds a lot. Probably one of the best shows I went to while in Brisbane. This song is pretty meh though, and "Do It Anyway" is even worse. 5/10

72. Regina Spektor - All The Rowboats
Oh hi, old faves. 7/10

71. Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools (Drank)
Really like the 2nd verse. 8/10

70. The Presets - Promises
Beginning reminds me of every Vocaloid song ever (bit of vocal, instrumental climax,quiet bit, etc.). Better than "Ghosts", and much better than their old stuff. 6/10

69. Matt Corby - Lonely Boy
Because the original coming 2nd last year just wasn't good enough. This song is pointless now that you can't even dance to it. 2/10

68. Avicii - Silhouettes
It's depressing that I'm old enough to remember a time when you changed to jjj to get away from dance music. 3/10

67. Flume - On Top
I was distracted by tumblr. 5/10

66. The Rubens - The Best We Got
I hated this band since their first single, when they were supposedly "unearthed". Since then, there's been a bit of controversy over their supposed manufacturedness, some thinkpieces about true indie, etc. I don't care about any of that. Song sucks. 1/10

65. Grimes - Genesis
How is this not top 50, or 20 even!? 8/10

64. Alt-J - Tessellate
"Triangles are my favourite shape" sounds like a hipster parody, but it's serious. 3/10

63. First Aid Kit - Wolf
6/10

62. Kid Cudi - Just What I Am (ft. King Chip)
The hipster clique in high school really liked Kid Cudi for some reason. It seemed out of place next to Pink Floyd, Beatles, etc. 6/10

61. Sticky Fingers - Caress Your Soul
Band named after the Rolling Stones album? 5/10

60. Jack White - Love Interruption
I own this album on CD. I do not know how to explain why I like something. 8/10

59. Cosmo Jarvis - Love This
Who is this guy, and why does jjj push him so hard? He's not Australian, and it seems like no other country cares about him, judging from the similar artists on last.fm. 4/10

58. Mumford & Sons - Babel
I can kind of see why someone might like a M&S song. But a whole album where all the songs sound almost the same? Nah. 3/10

57. Seth Sentry - Float Away
Obnoxious lyrics. 3/10

56. Frank Ocean - Thinkin' Bout You
Is this that song that's actually about a man? I'm not really feeling it now, but it sounds like a grower. 6/10

55. Knife Party - Internet Friends
Music student on Facebook posted: "I find Dubstep more and more addictive despite it's aversion to harmony and anything remotely musical..." No wonder he dropped to SL. 4/10

54. The Bamboos - I Got Burned (ft. Tim Rogers)
Wow, so this is what Tim Rogers does nowadays. He sounds surprisingly good. 7/10

53. San Cisco - Wild Things
Liked "Awkward" but the girl vocals here are annoying and there's too much going on instrumentally. 3/10

52. The Presets - Ghosts
Reminds me of Art vs Science. Yuck. 4/10

51. Birds Of Tokyo - This Fire
Rebellion (Lies) was really influential in 2012. 2/10

50. Asta - My Heart Is On Fire
The beginning reminds me of "Feeding Line". It sounds like it was written by a teenager, but it really was, so I dunno how to judge it. 5/10

49. Thundamentals - Brother
Knew this would be in here somewhere. It sounds more like they wrote a new song and sampled the "oohs". 6/10

48. San Cisco - Fred Astaire
4/10

47. Of Monsters & Men - Mountain Sound
Mumford & Sons but with extra Arcade Fire. 4/10

46. Passion Pit - Take A Walk
My friend was into this album for a while and I was happy for her. 7/10

45. Chance Waters - Young & Dumb (ft. Bertie Blackman)
Nope. 3/10

44. Xavier Rudd - Follow The Sun
Ooh, magpie noises. 6/10

43. The Lumineers - Ho Hey
As far as Mumford-y pop-folk goes, this isn't bad. I feel that I should hate it, but I don't. 6/10

42. MS MR - Hurricane
I don't remember this song at all, but it reminds me of Polica's "Dark Star". Buzzband, I guess. 5/10

41. British India - I Can Make You Love Me
Atmosphere and epic guitar rocking, but repetitive lyrics. 5/10

40. Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine
Didn't even know that they released something in 2012. 7/10

39. Alabama Shakes - Hold On
Nice vocals. 7/10

38. Grimes - Oblivion
This was my favourite song of 2012. Surprised it's not top 10, since it was played a lot. I should be mad, but instead I'm going to play Pokemon. 9/10

37. Two Door Cinema - Sun
5/10

36. Miike Snow - Padding Out
5/10

35. 360 - Run Alone
4/10

34. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
Nobody should write any more about Lana Del Rey. 7/10

33. Parachute Youth - Can't Get Enough Of This
5/10

32. Florence + The Machine - Spectrum (Calvin Harris remix)
Like the original more. Eh. 6/10

31. Alpine - Gasoline
I think I voted for this. I liked it for maybe a week? 7/10

30. Bat For Lashes - Laura
Not sure what this song is about, but it's big and melodramatic, and I voted for it. 8/10

29. Loon Lake - Cherry Lips
This would fit in on commercial radio. 5/10

28. Django Django - Default
Annoying, but kind of addictive as well. 6/10

27. Ball Park Music - Surrender
It's okay. It's all right. 6/10

26. Seth Sentry - Dear Science
Rap bitching about scientific progress being too slow. 2/10

25. Skrillex - Bangarang
People like to hate Skrillex, but he's probably going to be considered influential in the future. 5/10

24. Chet Faker - I'm Into You
5/10

23. Ball Park Music - Coming Down
I know this band is derivative and whatnot, but out of all the generico aus pop-indie bands, they're probably my favourite. 7/10

22. The Temper Trap - Trembling Hands
Walked out of the ARIAs when the band started playing this to go see Alpine at the Star. 5/10

21. Disclosure - Latch
5/10

Ok, whatever, I'm going to Symphony in the Domain now.
...

20. Rudimental - Feel The Love
5/10

19. The xx - Angels
Didn't like the new album much, though it did take me a very long time to warm up to the first. 6/10

18. Hermitude - Hyperparadise (Flume remix)
6/10

17. Flight Facilities - Clair De Lune (ft. Christine Hoburg)

16. Rudimental - Not Giving In

15. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Same Love (ft. Mary Lambert)
Preaching to the choir. DAE Mack[le]more??? 5/10

14. Icona Pop - I Love It (ft Charli XCX)
Aural sugar rush. 7/10

13. The Black Keys - Gold On The Ceiling
3/10

12. Flume - Sleepless
5/10

11. Calvin Harris - Sweet Nothing (ft Florence Welch)
A limper "Spectrum". 4/10

10. The Rubens - My Gun
2/10

9. Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
It's like, Flaming Lips meets The Beatles. 8/10

8. Frank Ocean - Lost
Catchy electronic hook. 6/10

7. Tame Impala - Elephant
Fuzzy heavy rock-ish. 6/10

6. Major Lazer - Get Free (ft. Amber Coffman)
I think this was the most played song on jjj in 2012, so it had to be here. Amber has a cool voice. 7/10

5. Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
When I hear this song, I imagine myself putting a bullclip into a tin can, putting a lid on it, and then shaking it really hard. 3/10

4. Flume - Holdin' On
5/10

3. Alt-J - Breezeblocks
Lalalala. 6/10

2. Of Monsters & Men - Little Talks
Home, let me go ho-o-ome. But with more annoying vocals. 2/10

1. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (ft. Wanz)
I thought it was a joke song the first time I heard it. Then they kept playing it and it stopped being funny. 4/10

Saturday 26 January 2013
Categories: , , , , | Comments Off