Altception

EDIT: I'm updating this as the situation changes. It's going to turn into a fun way to discover new music.

I know it's really stupid, but it's annoying to see posts on Facebook from distant acquaintances talking about something I like. Part of it is because I'm bitter about having no friends who like what I like. Another thing is that it's usually some vapid post like "[critically acclaimed album/artist] is awesome!" or some random lyrics, and then it gets a whole lot of likes and circlejerk comments. Karma whoring.

Well, screw that. I'm going to find alternatives that my news feed doesn't mention.

Radiohead → Talking Heads
Heads. Bands with crazy dancing frontmen. (Talking Heads could also replace Vampire Weekend in the cultural appropriation niche.)

Pixies → Pavement shit someone posted them, how about: Hüsker Dü
Indie sacred cows that made two great albums and some okay ones.

Regina Spektor → Fiona Apple
Female singer-songwriters that are not terribly generic. Regina's material is a lot more inconsistent.

Arcade Fire → The National
Rock bands with "lush" instrumentation. Win Butler and Regine Chassagne are terrible singers.

Bright Eyes → Elliott Smith
Sad indie guys singing sad songs. Oberst always sounds like he's crying.

Pink Floyd/The Beatles → The Velvet Underground
Nothing to do with the music. I'm tired of seeing the DSotM or Abbey Road cover on everything ever and would rather have the Warhol banana.

Sergei Rachmaninov/Igor Stravinsky → Messiaen/Ligeti/Xenakis/whatever
That's not 20th century. THIS is 20th century!

I'm joking. Mostly. Well, I do like the alternatives better, but not because nobody else likes them. Right?


Wednesday 8 August 2012
Categories: , , , | Comments Off