QLD Music Awards

Only listened to Pop and Album of the Year because they're mostly on Spotify. Complete list of nominees over here. Might do the rest later.

Pop:
Busby Marou - I Still Don't Believe
Music by sensitive guy aimed at indie girls? The word "indie" is even in there. It's a folk-pop song. It's pleasant, and I know lots of people who are into this kind of thing.

Cub Scouts - Do You Hear
Reminds me of an Andy Bull song. Otherwise, it's not very memorable.

Kate Miller-Heidke - I'll Change Your Mind
That key change at the end automatically makes the worst song of the lot. Sorry. Not to mention that super-heavy shiny production is really not in at the moment. They could've picked a better song from the album.

The Jungle Giants - Mr Polite
Oh, I know this song! Sure is catchy. Will probably win due to being played on the radio the most. This is how these things work, right?

AOTY:
Ben Salter - The Cat
I've a positive feeling about this one just because of the top comment for one of the videos. The song is pretty good too. But it's not on Spotify, so I can't say any more about it.

DZ Deathrays - Bloodstreams
There's that one song that gets played on the radio; when I hear it start I always think that it's Art vs. Science. They're not that bad though.

Kellie Lloyd - Magnetic North
The unfortunate thing about this kind of music is that it sounds too commercial to be played on the indie stations, and the mainstream stations do not give a crap about Australian music. Less painful to listen to than, say, Ingrid Michaelson.

The Grates - Secret Rituals
I may have established earlier that I do not like this band. So this will probably win.

Friday 29 June 2012
Categories: , , | Comments Off