The Clap

I've read a bit of arguing about clapping and classical music lately. They're essentially saying that people don't like going to concerts because they're not allowed to clap between movements, or cheer at solos, etc. and that this tradition contributes to the perception that the culture around classical music is elitist. I'd never even thought of this before.

I agree that the elitism is a big deal. If you don't like someone, you're not going to try and get into something that they like. (See also: hipsters and indie rock.) In fact, I'm into contemporary classical just because the annoying classical elitists I knew didn't like it. However, not clapping isn't snobby or anything. It's common sense that you wouldn't want people to be noisy while you're trying to listen to quiet music. If you're an interested newbie, you should probably realize this.

This argument is probably happening because it's getting old to say that kids these days have no attention span. But as a young person, I seriously think that is the main reason. Who gives a crap about clapping? The issue is, people don't want to listen to something that goes for an hour. It all sounds the same to them because all of the instruments are the same. There are no lyrics to be posted on Facebook, and dynamic range isn't practical with iPods on public transport.

What will make people go to concerts? The generic answer is education, but look at Asians. That isn't working (though they are pretty great business for music teachers). I am Asian, and I can confirm that compulsory instrument lessons will not make you like music. I like the idea of free public performances. Free samples are always great. Play more than just those same snippets that everybody already knows, because that isn't going to win new fans. Okay, I just want to see things for free, can you blame me?

(For the record, my first concert was the Vienna Philharmonic playing Bruckner 4 last year. I confess that I went just so I could say that I did. There was an Asian family with a kid that fell asleep. People clapped between movements. Bloody Queenslanders.)

Monday 11 June 2012
Categories: , , | Comments Off