What We Saw From The Cheap Seats

Hey, remember when I absolutely couldn't wait for a new Regina Spektor album? Probably not. Far was a pretty dull album, but I still put it on a lot to sing to while doing chores around the house or whatever. I still went to see her when she was in Brisbane.

Okay. This album. Immediate first impression: overproduction! There is way too much that isn't voice and piano in the first single, "All The Rowboats". Both "Small Town Moon" and "Oh Marcello" are a bit busy for my liking as well. Especially jarring with the second of those, which sounds a lot like some of her older, weirder material. "Don't Leave Me" is terribly cutesy. I liked "Ballad of a Politician" live, but those vocal effects here are unnecessary.

I feel as though I should like "How" and its very, very relevant lyrics. Actually, this is the one song that could probably afford a bit more sound, in my opinion. Another thing is that the vomiting noises in "Open" do not work well on recordings, despite being somewhat entertaining live. I mean, I like the rest of this song, but hearing the exact same noises each time becomes grating, a bit like the random squeaking in "Folding Chair" on Far. 

It might grow on me. I'm at least quite sure that most of these songs would be decent live. I don't know yet.

Wednesday 30 May 2012
Categories: , | Comments Off