Triple J Hottest 100 2011

In the absence of someone to argue with (I miss you!), I'm going to post my thoughts here.

100. Mr Little Jeans - The Suburbs
This is interesting, though the sound doesn't really suit the lyrics.

99. The Beards - You Should Consider Having Sex With A Bearded Man
First time I've heard this. This is a novelty song, so I can't say much about it. I think it's rather weak.

98. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Niggas In Paris
Surprised that this isn't higher. That shit cray.

97. Foo Fighters - Arlandria
Hello, generic rock song. I have a feeling that I'll be saying that a lot today.

96. The Strokes - Machu Picchu
This Is It was great. This isn't terrible, but it's not that impressive either. Typical British stuff.

95. Grouplove - Naked Kids
Mercury Rev? Pixies? Is this one of those opportunistic indie bands that copies a bunch of sounds?


94. The Wombats - Our Perfect Disease
I'm sorry, friends, but I don't like this band. I think most of their songs sound too similar, or annoying. Also, this.

93. Kimbra - Two Way Street
Pretty, female vocalist pop with chamber instrumentation. But there's something repetitive about it that stops me from really enjoying it.

92. James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream
I was put off by the dubstep label, but this has a great atmosphere and build-up. Should have been higher, but it isn't very radio-friendly.

91. City and Colour - Fragile Bird
Missed this because I went to the bathroom.

90. Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise
Still in the bathroom. Girls take a long time to get dressed and stuff, you know. But they're a big deal, or were at some point.

89. Beirut - Santa Fe
I've been hearing this without realizing that it was Beirut. I didn't even know that they released something recently. To Mediafire! (I have no thoughts on the song.)

88. Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle
I'm finding this vaguely annoying.

87. Gotye - In Your Light
Cute song, interesting mix of samples.

86. Seeker Lover Keeper - Light All My Lights
I swear, the annoying-accented female vocalists of Australia are getting more annoying. But okay, this song is pleasant enough.

85. Cosmo Jarvis - Gay Pirates
My first thought was Magnetic Fields, but then it became annoying. Then I thought that it was another joke song when I heard "Yo ho Sebastian".

84. 360 - Throw It Away (ft. Josh Pyke)
Apparently it's racist if I say that I don't like hip-hop, but if I specifically say Australian hip-hop, it's okay, because it's usually white guys doing their unoriginal cultural appropriation thing.

83. The Kills - Future Starts Slow
Reminds me of The xx and Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

82. Little Dragon - Ritual Union
Nothing about this stands out to me.

81. Busby Marou - Biding My Time
This is not very good. However, I am biased against folk and any kind of music that sounds too relaxed.

80. Pnau - The Truth
This has a generic kind of melody that reminds me of a pop song, but I can't remember which. Ugh, that bridge.

79. SBTRKT - Wildfire (Ft. Little Dragon)
I am not yet qualified to speak about electronic. This one is...attention-grabbing.

78. Husky - History's Door
Why can't I find anything to say about this?

77. Metronomy - The Look
Okay, that synth line is catchy. That -ook hook too.

76. Redcoats - Dreamshaker
Hello, generic alt-rock song. I could never be a music critic.

75. Skream & Example - Shot Yourself In The Foot Again
Here comes the brostep breakdown. Boring.

74. Drapht - Bali Party
I really dislike this.

73. Skrillex - First Of The Year (Equinox)
This seems popular with the intoxicated. In my opinion, this has less musical value than the most bizarre 20th century western art music I've heard. That's saying something.

72. Flight Facilities - Foreign Language
Pleasantly retro, like their entry last year. Could fit in comfortably with mainstream radio.

71. Luke Million - Arnold
This is completely baffling. Arnold Schwarznegger speaking over some noises. I didn't even know that this was a song. I had assumed it was some annoying filler noise.

70. Jebediah - She's Like A Comet
Hello, generic alt-rock. How many times do you have to repeat that one line?

69. Bon Iver - Calgary
Here he is, Mr Pitchfork Album Of The Year. I'm not a fan of the falsetto vocals, but everything else is pretty enough. Got the CD from JB for $7 because they mislabelled it.

68. Arctic Monkeys - Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair
I liked punk-ish Arctic Monkeys more. This is a bit closer to The Strokes. Plus, there were better songs on the album.

67. New Navy - Zimbabwe
It's another generic indie pop band, along the lines of Two Door Cinema. Ah, they're Australian. Why can't Australians come up with original sounds?

66. Bon Iver - Perth
I like this one more than the previous song, perhaps because of the percussion. So other people agree with me.

65. Kasabian - Re-Wired
Overplayed?

64. Owl Eyes - Raiders
Oh hey, an Idol alumni.

63. Foo Fighters - Rope
See previous Foo Fighters comment.

62. Stonefield - Black Water Rising
It's some girl rock. Too bad it's boring.

61. Radiohead - Lotus Flower
Only liked this because of the awesome dancing Thom video.

60. Joe Goddard - Gabriel
I like the warbly vocals. Production doesn't get in the way too much.

59. Washington - Holy Moses
The kazoo is either awesome or annoying as hell. Probably the second one.

58. Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
I'm okay with this. She has a cool voice.

57. The Rubens - Lay It Down
I've hated this ever since I heard it for the first time. Holy melisma, Batman!

56. Sparkadia - China
Melodramatic.

55. Architecture In Helsinki - Escapee
I like them, but this song isn't particularly impressive. Not a fan of the new electronic direction.

54. The Grates - Turn Me On
Hey, it's an indier Paramore.

53. Bon Iver - Holocene
Robbed. Should have been much higher. This always happens with good albums that actually have multiple good songs.

52. Kimbra - Good Intent
I get the feeling that I've heard this song long before 2011.

51. The Drums - Money
Another song about being poor. Yeah, I'm totally going to believe that if you can write songs and play instruments.

50. Boy & Bear - Part Time Believer
Fleet Foxes meets Mumford & Sons. Quality is somewhere between those two. Vocals are nice.

49. Boy & Bear - Milk & Sticks
Them ampersands.

48. Art Vs Science - A.I.M. Fire!
To me, they're the Black Eyed Peas of Triple J. Lots of people think they're absolutely terrible, yet they're popular.

47. Sparkadia - Mary
These guys love their big choruses. Music for teenagers.

46. Active Child - Hanging On
Pretty harp. This might be the first thing I've heard in this countdown that I wouldn't mind investigating further.

45. The Kooks - Junk Of The Heart (Happy)
Sorry, but I don't like this band either. I believe the proper term is "landfill indie".

44. Hermitude - Speak Of The Devil
No.

43. Grouplove - Itchin' On A Photograph
I liked this for a while! Then I got bored of it. Or maybe I finally noticed those handclaps when I listened to an mp3 instead of the radio.

42. Florence + The Machine - What The Water Gave Me
I thought this song was average, so I didn't bother with her new album.

41. The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness
This is okay. A bit too close to the middle of the road though.

40. Foster The People - Houdini
I'm not surprised that the guys in this band used to write commercial jingles.

39. Benny Benassi - Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
Wasn't a fan of the original, but this is really awful.

38. Ball Park Music - All I Want Is You
I thought this band deserved to be more popular. Yeah, they're derivative, and some of their lyrics are incredibly annoying. But there's something likeable there.

37. 360 - Killer
No.

36. Florence + The Machine - No Light, No Light
Is the entire album this busy? Calm down, girl.

35. Illy - Cigarettes
This is particularly annoying for hip-hop. That voice.

34. Gotye - I Feel Better
Has this been used in some kind of TV ad? If not, it will be.

33. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Otis (Ft. Otis Redding)
Favourite part of this is that sample. He might be rolling in his grave, though.

32. Noah And The Whale - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
I think the word for this is "twee". In the bad way.

31. Ball Park Music - It's Nice To Be Alive
I actually like this. Everything the vocalist sings sounds a bit sarcastic.

30. Calvin Harris - Bounce (Ft. Kelis)
Why does Triple J play things like this? This is hardly alternative.

29. Drapht - Sing It (The Life Of Riley)
I zoned out for this one.

28. Owl Eyes - Pumped Up Kicks (Like A Version)
People couldn't vote for the original so they voted for this instead. It sounds similar enough.

27. Example - Changed The Way You Kiss Me
Awful.

26. The Wombats - Techno Fan
Not as catchy as their other stuff, and not as funny as, say, "Let's Dance To Joy Division".

25. Kimbra - Cameo Lover
I've heard more than one person say that this was reminiscent of J-Pop. It's probably the outdated sound and the "quirky".

24. The Wombats - 1996
I reserve a special dislike for songs that mention a specific year. Usually because the singer isn't even old enough to be talking about how oh-so-much better it was back then. This guy was about 12, so...okay.

23. Emma Louise - Jungle
All hail the new Sarah Blasko. This song would be at home on the Twilight soundtrack. I mean, A&J Stone made it on there.

22. Snakadaktal - Air
No.

21. Skrillex - Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites
More weird machine noises for drunk people.

20. Bluejuice - Act Yr Age
This is kind of annoying. Very overplayed.

19. Nero - Promises
No.

18. The Wombats - Jump Into The Fog
Jake Cleland: " Is this a joke? Have I been “punk’d”? Is Justin Bieber about to jump out from between my mattresses and yank off my towel for MTV?"

17. Seeker Lover Keeper - Even Though I'm A Woman
I confess to voting for this, just so something that I voted for would actually make it. Also, Sally Seltmann wrote Feist's "1234".

16. Grouplove - Tongue Tied
This was used in an ad, right? It crossed over to Nova a while ago. I don't like the bridge. I tend to have issues with bridges, as you can tell by now.

15. Foster The People - Helena Beat
14. Foster The People - Call It What You Want

Whoops, wasn't paying attention. Don't really care.

13. Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out
Obviously the best track on the album which I only listened to once.

12. Architecture In Helsinki - Contact High
Voted for this. It's cute.

11. Calvin Harris - Feel So Close
Seriously, this guy. Isn't he a bit too mainstream?

10. Hilltop Hoods - I Love It (Ft. Sia)
You know what, just take a look at this.

9. The Jezabels - Endless Summer
I feel like I should like this band, but I can't seem to care.

8. 360 - Boys Like You (Ft. Gossling)
Annoying voices.

7. San Cisco - Awkward
This is a cute, catchy song. Has this band done anything else?

6. Lana Del Rey - Video Games
By far the best song on her album, which I may talk about if I'm bored.

5. M83 - Midnight City
I feel that those weird noises are what people remember about this song. Maybe the sax solo too.

4. Boy & Bear - Feeding Line
This grew on me. I used to compare them to A&J Stone, but they're much better.

3. Matt Corby - Brother
There's something about this song that's similar to the previous one. Impressive voice.

2. The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
How the hell is this number two? It's so boring. And we were doing so well, Australia!

1. Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (Ft. Kimbra)
Nobody is surprised. Hey, it's pretty good.

Thursday 26 January 2012
Categories: , , , , | Comments Off