Rewind

If Hype Machine is still going with their Zeitgeist thing, then it's not too late for me to waffle about my ten most-played artists of 2011.




Arcade Fire
The 2011 Grammys were fun. Inspired my (failed) TOK presentation about music taste and image. I noticed that none of the hipsters at school claim to like Arcade Fire, even though I saw every album in their shared iTunes libraries. Maybe this year will make Bon Iver uncool as well.

Talking Heads
March 21. The music students and I had a little party for the music teacher, and a percussionist asked the teacher if he liked them. He replied by pulling his Stop Making Sense LP from the shelf. JB Hi-Fi was selling the CD for $8, so I got it. It was one of the very few things that I've bought without downloading and listening beforehand. I drove to Sydney and back, listening to it on repeat.

The Beatles
According to some Tumblr rant, there are people who think that liking The Beatles is like, totally special, and the ranter thinks these people are stupid because everyone likes them. One day, somebody brought a Beatles Monopoly set to school, and I discovered that some of my friends had no idea who they were. I never got over it.

Sufjan Stevens
I heard Chicago on Triple J while in the car. I think it's somewhat of an embarrassment to admit that you like something because you heard it on the radio. I have a friend who loves all the trash that jjj flogs, but says she doesn't listen to the radio. It's like how everybody has to say Pitchfork is bollocks.

Pixies
Mr Grieves was playing in the background of the aforementioned birthday party. Last month, I found out that it was the music teacher's favourite song, from his favourite album, by his favourite band. I refuse to say that Doolittle is my favourite album, simply because it is his. I am capable of having my own opinions, thank you very much.

Sarah Blasko
I thought that Seeker Lover Keeper didn't work out so well, but apparently "Even Though I'm A Woman" was a minor Triple J hit. It reminds me of some some of the songs on her second album, the one nobody cares about. I still don't understand how her third album is considered one of the best Australian albums of all time. My more cultured acquaintances don't either.

The National
I once heard someone say that they're as boring as Coldplay. I don't have any story about them. Despite that, I still apparently really like them. So they must be good.

Pavement
I once wrote "PAVEMENT > PIXIES" on the whiteboard in the music room, while I was hiding from the loud, crappy dance music in the auditorium. I don't think that's true, but I thought it might be more offensive than a piano wearing glasses or a six-stringed, cello-like instrument. I erased it before anyone saw it.

Radiohead
The King Of Limbs is good for showing off nice headphones, but that's pretty much it. Oh, and the Lotus Flower video. G said it gave her nightmares. People were fangasming over it on Facebook and I felt sad because I had no friends. There was someone who supposedly didn't listen to anything non-classical who liked them. Such is the power of Radiohead.

Regina Spektor
There was a girl who would enter the talent quest at school each year with a Regina Spektor song. One of the biology teachers was a fan. One of the music students wanted to sing something of hers for an audition. I see the lyrics to "On The Radio" reblogged by my friends. But they don't actually know what it's from.

Thursday 5 January 2012
Categories: , , , , , , , , | Comments Off