Post-rejection melancholy listening

Natalie Prass - self titled
I'm surprised at how universally praised this is by critics, while not even cracking the top 100 of 2015 on rym. The music is beautiful, the vocals are sweet, and there's not a track that's noticeably worse than the others. But I can't go for those lyrics. I know it's a breakup album, but I can only listen to so much "why don't you love me?". The one track I've got on repeat is Violently. "And I'll break by arms 'cause they want to hold you" is the kind of thing I'm into.

Megan Washington
I haven't seen much on the internet about Insomnia. Its highs are higher than her debut. I've probably mentioned before that Sentimental Education is my favourite track of hers, and it's back on high rotation. Holy Moses is a fun singalong now that my voice is a bit higher, not to mention its lyrical relevance.

Kimbra - As You Are
I didn't give The Golden Echo as much attention as I should've because it got a fairly negative review from someone I follow, and I generally can't be bothered with long albums. I gave As You Are a go because I saw it in Kimbra's top tracks on Spotify. "Honey that hourglass got me thinkin', you ain't no friend of mine" 

The Church - Wide Open Road
The original is great, but a bit of extra jangliness and modern recording helps. According to Wikipedia, Paul Kelly has also done a cover, but there doesn't seem to be a recording. Damn.


Crowded House - Don't Stop Now
"Give me something I can cry about." Oh wait, this song is about the singer's wife driving and getting lost? Wow. I feel like it ought to be placed next to The Go-Betweens' Finding You on a mixtape. They're both about driving, getting lost, and mention lightning.

Sunday 5 July 2015
Categories: , , | Comments Off