March of 100 Albums (31-35)

Unrelated, but ugh at a certain mediocre band's frontperson having a whinge about critics. They sound like those kids on Deviantart who cry about constructive criticism.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Good Son
What is it? acoustic/piano ballads
How'd I find it? cheesy tourism ad
Not bad but a bit overrated, maybe. Sometimes an artist will release an "accessible" new album to huge critical acclaim because their old stuff was great but underrated. Also, Australia will freak out about anything that gets acclaim/popularity overseas (e.g. INXS). I think the appeal is the vocal and general "sound", rather than the songwriting/composition. (The Ship Song is ok.)

Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
What is it? Space rock, apparently
How'd I find it? Friends at school liked them
I completely stopped listening to Muse after I went to the concert a few years ago. It's just not the same without the flashy lights and lasers. Critics probably hated this and the albums before it because it's not frail and indie. They'd eat it up now in this age of poptimism, because it is great stupid fun. Hell, I've got thousands of scribbles for them and I'm still having fun now.

Missy Higgins - The Sound Of White 
What is it? female singer songwriter
How'd I find it? Radio
Surely someone else out there has already made a joke about this album's title. I think they call this type of music "Lilith Fair". Which is probably sexist, but really, this album is generic. The only thing it's got going for it is her accent, and maybe The Special Two.

Asami Shimoda - Prism 
What is it? Vocaloid voice actor sings Vocaloid songs
How'd I find it? I don't remember
I like to think of Vocaloid songs as being demos for real singers, but I've never heard a human cover that improves on the original. This is about as close as it gets. The vocal is a fair bit weaker-sounding, and not much more emotive, but if I had to tell someone about one of my favourite jpop songs, I'd probably link them to this instead of the robot version.

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
What is it? indie pop, female vocalist
How'd I find it? Country Mile was in a fanmix
I first discovered this band when I was still into really basic, mainstream stuff, and I found them difficult back then. I gave them another go when I saw Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken topping a year chart on RYM. Now they just sound like Belle & Sebastian with an incomprehensible female vocalist. Everything's better with incomprehensible female vocalists.




Saturday 15 March 2014
Categories: , , , | Comments Off