2012 ARIA Awards

Didn't see this on television, because I was actually at the damn thing. I don't know anybody who watched it (except my parents, but their "watched TV" is really more "slept on couch"). My best guess at what was televised comes from this Pedestrian article.


Red carpet: I spent a good five minutes staring Angus Stone and The Jezabels, thinking, "Hmm, they looks familiar!" without realizing who he was until they showed his nomination video about two hours later. The crowd was populated entirely by teen girls there to scream at Taylor Swift, and they didn't recognize and scream at him. It was extremely hot, and all those men in velvet jackets looked ridiculous. I wish Australia could have its own fashion trends instead of trying to wear fall/winter in summer.

The crowd: Looked at the crowd and was pleased that most of them were underage, since it meant I'd have an easier time getting into the afterparty. Subdued applause for the nominees nobody had heard of (poor Lanie Lane) and ear-splitting screams for Taylor Swift and One Direction. Surprisingly enthusiastic for Yothu Yindi, even with Mandawuy's awkward, entirely teleprompter'd speech.

My thoughts: Kimbra's performance was excellent, and it made me revisit her album. The fact that international guests got more enthusiasm was disheartening. Cultural cringe, etc. Why the hell was the cast of The Hobbit there!? Some of those people looked bored and awkward, e.g. Nicki Minaj. Russell Brand was entertaining enough, but I cringed for all those parents with their tiny daughters. Acceptable show for $50, I suppose.

Friday 30 November 2012
Categories: , , , , | Comments Off