Taste

When I was in high school, I heard some boys in a band say about the music teacher, "His music taste must kick all of our asses!" I laughed to myself, because at that moment, he unfortunately decided to play Angus & Julia Stone over the speakers.

Last week, I was waylaid at Central Station by some girls selling stuff for Pink Ribbon Day. One complimented me on my Regina Spektor shirt, and the other (who was in my stats class) told her that I had great taste in music. Then a guy in my chem lab congratulated me for listening to Amanda Palmer. Cool?

What do people really mean when they say "good taste"? I've come to see it as just another way of saying that their taste is similar to yours. It's not often that you say another person has better taste, because we all like to think that we're the best, right?

My ideal, I suppose, is someone who listens to as many different things as they can. A person like that could have a conversation with almost anybody, and that's useful.

Monday 29 October 2012
Categories: , | Comments Off