2009

Here comes the album release cycle! Ah, those lame things I used to listen to in 2009 because I didn't know any better. Those people are releasing new albums now.

Lisa Mitchell has a new single, "Spiritus". It's pretty terrible, in my opinion. Perhaps she's trying to cash in on the "weak, thin female vocals over synths" thing that's in the moment. Problem is that her voice is intrusively annoying. I'd seriously rather listen to some Top 40 crap than this.

Kate Miller-Heidke has a new album in April, Nightflight. Title track has better production than the Spektor songs. Is kind of cheesy until about two minutes in. Her husband has a cool voice. Aww at songs about distance inspired by Toowoomba flood. There's also a re-recording of "The Tiger Inside Will Eat The Child", but it's not as good as the first one. Too cliché.

Rufus Wainwright also has an April album, produced by…Mark Ronson. Huh. No download, so I don't know. From the iTunes preview, it at least sounds a bit happier than his last album, though it's a bit too similar to his old stuff.

Regina Spektor's album comes out in May. A few of the tracks are recorded versions of stuff she's performed live. "Rowboats" is okay. The new version of "Ne Me Quitte Pas" is way overproduced. It's cutesy, gaudy, and pretty much a distillation of all the criticisms of her. I didn't have very high hopes anyway, remembering the Elizondo version of that Fiona Apple album.

Sarah Blasko is apparently recording a new album. But her last album was lame, and the songs she wrote for Seeker Lover Keeper were average, so whatever. To me, the most interesting thing going on with her is her meeting Sophia Brous, who is so much better. She RT'd Nico Muhly! He has a hilarious feed, oh gosh, why was I not following him before? I am glad that I have been educated.

In other news, UNSW doesn't seem to have a choir of any sort, so I am free, FREE. No more of that shit, thank you very much.

Thursday 29 March 2012
Categories: , , , | Comments Off