2011 ARIA Awards

Only the categories that I actually can have an opinion on. Might be updated as I get around to listening to them. Brought to you by my music teacher's campaign to convince me that there is good Australian music.

Edited on 13/10/11. Mr H completely disregards country, and we both laughed at the Adult Contemporary category's nominations, except for one, who was some guy from Hunters & Collectors. Also, I should check out something from the Fine Arts categories.

Edited on 1/12/11 to add winners and some comments, because I was too busy to do it on the night.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR:
Boy & Bear – Moonfire  - WON
I bet this will be popular, because Aussie indies love folk music. Also, their Crowded House cover got #5 in the Hottest 100 last year. | Mr H didn't know who they were. I wonder if he'll like them like A&JS. | They're better than A&JS. At least the vocalist of this can sing.

Cut Copy – Zonoscope 
BNM'd by Pitchfork. I might listen to it later, but I generally don't care for electronic. | Listened to it, thought it was quite good. But not popular enough, I guess. And kind of crap live.

Eskimo Joe – Ghosts of the Past
I recall Tweeting about being annoyed by an Eskimo Joe single a while back. No thanks. | Mr H: They're still going!

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Rrakala 
I haven't heard any of this, but am vaguely curious, because it was also nominated under "World Music". | Got an approving nod from Mr H, must look into it.

Grinderman – 2 
The only nomination that I've listened to in full! Supporting this because it's Nick Cave, which automatically puts it above Boy & Bear and Eskimo Joe at least. | Mr H: Who are they? Me: Nick Cave and a band. Mr H: Oh, that might be good. | I don't think Nick Cave even bothered coming.

SINGLE OF THE YEAR:
Birds Of Tokyo – Wild At Heart 
Oh God no. Lame, lame, generic rock music. | Mr H reckons this would've won if it weren't so old.

Boy & Bear – Feeding Line 
Heard this a few times. Inoffensive. Boring. Eh.

Drapht – Rapunzel 
Tolerable. A bit overplayed. Hip hop.

Gotye Featuring Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know - WON
This is going to win. Come on, it was topping the charts for ages. It had better win. | Mr H is sure that this will win. | Mr H said he liked their performance. Wally's vocals were a bit shaky, but it was quite good.

Guy Sebastian Featuring Eve – Who’s That Girl
Wokwokwok. Does anybody like this? || Guy should have just sung this without the other, even crappier song.

The Jezabels – Dark Storm
Eh. It's okay.

BEST MALE ARTIST:
Drapht – The Life Of Riley 
|| He looks nothing like how I imagined him.

Gareth Liddiard – Strange Tourist
Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Rrakala

Gotye – Somebody That I Used To Know  - WON
Yeah, he's gonna get it just for this single.

Josh Pyke – No One Wants A Lover
A bit too poppy. In different trappings, I'd absolutely hate it.

BEST FEMALE ARTIST:
Adalita – Adalita 
Sounds kind of dull to me. | Mr H: I don't know any of these people. Who is Adalita? Me: I've no idea either.

Clare Bowditch – Are You Ready Yet? 
She released something this year?

Kasey Chambers – Little Bird 
Sounds like it was from the 90's. This better not win.

Kimbra – Cameo Lover  - WON
I like "Good Intent" more, but I guess that was released too late. || Nice dress. But she's not even Australian!

Washington – Holy Moses 
Not again, and not just for this single. | Yeah, I know he doesn't like her.

BEST GROUP:
Birds Of Tokyo – Wild At Heart 
No.

Boy & Bear – Moonfire - WON
Eskimo Joe – Ghosts Of The Past

Grinderman – 2
Yes.

The Living End – The Ending Is Just The Beginning Repeating
Heard the title track and hated it. | Mr H is surprised that they're still alive. | They're okay. Apparently it's in fashion to stand on your double bass while you play it.

BREAKTHROUGH ARTIST - ALBUM:
Boy & Bear – Moonfire - WON

Drapht – The Life Of Riley 
| Mr H: I've never heard of them. Me: He's a rapper. Apparently he's actually been around for a while, but they only learned of his existence now. So, y'know, he's one of those nominations that makes no sense.

Gypsy & The Cat – Gilgamesh
I think this is rather boring.

Oh Mercy – Great Barrier Grief
The Middle East – I Want That You Are Always Happy

BREAKTHROUGH ARTIST - SINGLE:
Boy & Bear – Feeding Line - WON
Drapht – Rapunzel


Havana Brown – We Run The Night
Probably too mainstream to win. | Mr H: Is this a dance song?

The Jezabels – Dark Storm

Zoe Badwi – Freefallin’
Mainstream.

BEST INDEPENDENT RELEASE:
Art Vs Science – The Experiment - WON
I absolutely hate this band, which means it has a good chance of winning. | Mr H: I started watching a concert of theirs once, but it was so boring. | Me: Did you see AvS? Mr H: [Makes a face] Yes. That song... Me: I can't even decide if-if it's even a song.

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu – Rrakala
John Butler Trio – Live At Red Rocks
Tex Perkins & The Dark Horses – Tex Perkins & The Dark Horses
The Jezabels – Dark Storm

BEST ADULT ALTERNATIVE ALBUM:
What's the definition of "adult alternative"?
Boy & Bear – Moonfire - WON
Grinderman – 2

Little Red – Midnight Remember 
I like "Rock It". Adult alternative?

Seeker Lover Keeper – Seeker Lover Keeper
"Even Though I'm A Woman" has too many plays in my iTunes because I like singing it. | Mr H: Who is this? Me: Sarah Blasko and some other people. Mr H: Oh, pft.

The Panics – Rain On The Humming Wire


BEST POP RELEASE:
Architecture In Helsinki – Moment Bends
Get it, AIH. Surprised that the vocalist can sing so well live, what with that ridiculous falsetto.

Gotye – Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) - WON
But this will probably win. I guess that's okay.

Guy Sebastian – Who’s That Girl (feat. Eve)
Gypsy & The Cat – Gilgamesh
Washington – Holy Moses


HIGHEST SELLING ALBUM:
Altiyan Childs – Altiyan Childs - WON
X Factor alumni? MAINSTREAM.

Angus & Julia Stone – Down The Way
I think this will win.

Birds Of Tokyo – Birds of Tokyo
Keith Urban – Get Close
Various – He Will Have His Way – The Songs of Tim & Neil Finn

HIGHEST SELLING SINGLE:
Birds Of Tokyo – Plans
"We make plans to kiss the sun at night!" Okay.

Gotye Featuring Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know
Apparently it's the Australian single with the longest run at No. 1 on the chart since 1999.

Guy Sebastian Featuring Eve – Who’s that Girl - WON
Havana Brown – We Run The Night
Jessica Mauboy Featuring Ludacris – Saturday Night

Sunday 27 November 2011
Categories: , , , , , , , | Comments Off